We preach the Good News to the poor because Jesus preached it. We bind up the broken hearted because Jesus bound them up. We proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness because Jesus proclaimed it. We bestow on them the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair because Jesus bestowed these things. We serve people and take up the fight against injustice because Jesus did it. And he commanded us to do it as well.

Friday, September 07, 2007

a new friend

On Monday a man came to the hall. He asked if there was someone who could pray with him about some problems he was having at home. I explained that I couldn't let him in the building because I was alone, but would be happy to sit on the benches in front of the building with him. He understood. So armed with a Bible, our new flyer for this autumn, my mobile, and keys (so I could lock the building behind me) I set out into the unknown.

Ahmed said he has recently become a Christian and that this has caused much conflict with his family. They had asked him to leave for a few days. I prayed for him and his family. Then he prayed asking God to help me understand that he needed help getting to his cousin's house and something to eat. We walked to the corner shop together and I bought him a travel card and a few snacks. We spoke a little longer and he said he was interested in helping out when he returned to the neighbourhood if there was anything I needed. About an hour after Ahmed left I had to go to the same corner shop to pick up some milk. The shopowner said that Ahmed had returned the travel card for cash. The shopowner expressed his uncertainty as to whether he had done the right thing in letting him return it. Technically you can return travel cards within the first half hour they are bought, but he knew I had bought it for Ahmed. We were able to have a great discussion about giving to others, the nature of generosity, and personal choice. It's the best conversation I have ever had with him.

When I arrived at the hall on Wednesday, Ahmed was outside the building again. He said it hadn't worked out with his family and wondered if I could give him something to eat. As I was boiling pasta for him I decided not to tell him I knew he returned the travel ticket. I would like to believe it was solely because th is is what I think Jesus would do, and at this time I do think it is what He would do. But, if I'm honest, I also thought that if he got (or gets) demanding down the line I could always tell him I know about that as a way of explaining why I wouldn't give him something else. I guess that is part of the reality of working with people who have found themselves in a season of desperation and need.

As Ahmed gratefully ate his tuna pasta he commented on the rubbish that had been left on the benches overnight. I told him that I could use some help cleaning it up, since he had again mentioned wanting to help. He said he couldn't today, but that maybe we could clean it up together next time he came. He also said he would be at our Christian Discussion group next Wednesday.

If I'm honest, I am pretty cynical about Ahmed. But I also know that if I follow that path of cynicism to it's logical conclusion that it doesn't lead me anywhere good. I believe what God calls us to is to stand on the slippery slope and wrestle each time the issue of helping someone in need comes up. That keeps us dependent on the Holy Spirit and keeps us on our knees before him. Outside of being in close relationship with him, we won't know how to handle each encounter.

If I am even more honest, I will admit that Ahmed has come at a good time. On another day, another week, I might not have been as open. But there is also something open about him. He wants help, but seems respectful of my boundaries. That makes a huge difference for me.

Father, I pray that you will help Ahmed recognize you as you continue to reveal yourself to him. I pray you will bring him into the full knowledge of your salvation if he hasn't yet turned his life over to you. Help him to accept the life, death, and resurrection of your son, Jesus Christ. Please allow my relationship with Ahmed to continue to develop.

Jamie

Comments on "a new friend"

 

post a comment